Ebooks and Audiobooks
There are several ways to access e-books books and audiobooks on MackinVia. If you have any problems accessing the e-books, please come to the library or email Mrs. Kolpin.
There are two ways you can access the GHS e-books and audiobooks
1. Through www.mackinvia.com.
2. Through the Mackin Via app on your laptop, or other devices. It should be located in your applications folder on your school laptop. Apps for your other devices can be downloaded here.
MackinVia video tutorial:
Video URL: http://youtu.be/JTCMNUKRnwE
Other audiobook resources:
How to Use MackinVia
The basics of accessing the e-books and audiobooks from any of the options above involve similar steps.
1. Log on to your account. You will enter Grinnell High School in the school name (a drop down menu should appear). Your User ID will be your library/lunch number, and your Password will also be your lunch number OR last name with the first letter capitalized.
2. Once you're logged in, you can use the tabs on the left side of the screen to get to different browsing options, or you can search for specific titles in the search box.
3. Select Open Now to preview the book, but please note that features like bookmarks and notes may not be saved until you check out the book.
4. If you want to check out the book, click on Check Out. The book's cover art should say mine when this action is completed.
5. Click on the backpack icon on the top right hand side of the screen and go to my checkouts to read the books that you have checked out.
6. To read a book offline, open the MackinVia app in your applications folder. (If you do not have one, go to self service to see if it is available for download. If not, contact the tech department or the librarian for help.) When the app is open, you can search for books online.
If you find one you like, check it out. Then, back in the app, you should see an option to the right of the book to download it. Click download. When it is complete, simply double click the book in the app and read it on your computer.
7. Highlighting, notes, dictionary entries, and more are tools available once you are reading a book you have checked out. Click on the help, go to http://www.mackin.com/Help/VIA_Help/index.html for more information, or view the video tutorial below for a general overview.
8. Most books will be due back in two weeks. If you finish early, make sure to click Return under my checkouts so that others can access the book. If you need to renew the book, make sure to select Renew before the due date, or the book will automatically be checked back in.
9. Any notes or highlights you make can be accessed through My Notebook in your backpack. Want to save your notes and highlights to google drive? Go to your backpack and select your notebook. Click on the title of the book you want to export notes from. Click the Export Notes button and select Save to Drive.